Why It Matters: Your Annual Wellness Visit
What’s the best way to reduce your risks for chronic conditions such as heart disease and diabetes, get on track for a healthy weight and have your health questions answered—all in one stop? Your annual wellness visit with your doctor, which may be covered at no cost to you as a Florida Blue member (be sure to check your benefits).
Be sure to schedule your annual wellness visit with your doctor as soon as possible. It’s your time to meet one-on-one with your doctor and develop a plan of action to improve your health. Meeting with your doctor each year can help catch health problems at their earliest stages, when they are easiest to treat. It also can help you prevent certain health problems.
If you’re nervous about talking to your doctor, remember your doctor wants to help you. Your doctor needs as much information as possible to help you make the best decisions for your health. Remember: Your annual exam will help your doctor get a snapshot of your health that will help you in the years to come.
Your Wellness Visit Checklist
Prepare for your next check-up!
- Write down a list of questions for your doctor
- Make a list of any health issues you have had since your last visit, such as frequent headaches
- Ask if you are due for screenings, such as a colorectal cancer or breast cancer screening
- Ask if your blood pressure is normal
- Tell your doctor if you have experienced any feelings of sadness or trouble sleeping
- Know your medications. Don’t leave out over-the-counter drugs or herbal supplements.
- Ask about your weight and physical activity and what you can do to maintain or improve them