Sparkler & Fireworks Safety
More than 50,000 fires are caused by fireworks every year. Take the proper precautions when operating fireworks.
- Never disassemble or try to make your own fireworks.
- Don’t point sparklers, or fireworks at yourself or others, especially while they’re being lit.
- Only light fireworks on the ground and in areas that are dry and fire resistant.
- Don’t attempt to light multiple devices at the same time.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks or sparklers.
- Always keep a portable fire extinguisher close by. Also keep a water hose or buckets of water nearby to put out fires.
Water Activity Safety
As July is one of the hottest months of the year, many families turn to water activities to beat the heat. However, even fun water activities have serious risks if the proper precautions aren’t taken.
- Review safe boating practices.
- Never consume alcohol while driving a boat.
- Before boating, always check that there are enough life preservers on hand for every passenger.
- Set water safety rules for your family.
- Pools should be enclosed completely with a fence to restrict access to the area. Consider installing wireless outdoor sensors that will alert you via phone or with a chime inside your home if the sensors are activated.
- Keep a first aid kit near the pool.
July is one of the peak months for grilling fires. Enjoy grilling your favorite meals this summer while also keeping your family safe.
- Check gas grill hoses for cracks, holes and leaks.
- Keep children away from grills. Gas leaks, blocked tubes, and propane tanks can be a cause of grill fires and explosions.
- Never grill indoors, in the garage, in any enclosed area or on a surface that might catch fire.
- Keep the grill at least two feet away from decks, siding, branches and any outdoor equipment that can catch fire quickly.
More pets get lost on July 4th than any other day of the year.
- Make sure your pet is wearing up-to-date ID tags.
- Keep charcoal, fireworks, sparklers, and glow sticks away from pets.
- Keep pets secure inside during fireworks times. Do not leave them caged or chained outside.
- Leave a TV or Radio playing while you are not home to distract them from the noise.
If you follow these simple 4th of July safety tips, your entire family will be sure to have a safe and memorable holiday.