Pre-header Home Page null Facebook Twitter Linked In Google + Specialty Programs Personal Insurance Life Insurance Business Insurance Employee BenefitsSite Header
Get A Quote

Invisible Killer- Carbon Monoxide safety tips for your home and car



Carbon monoxide (CO) is often called the "invisible killer" or "silent killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, tasteless, poisonous gas. People and animals can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO. Poisoning comes from inhaling enough of the gas that it replaces oxygen in the blood.

Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, according to the CDC. In addition, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 Americans are hospitalized due to CO poisoning.

According to the CDC, more deaths from CO exposure occur in the winter months than at any other time. That’s because generators and space heaters are more heavily used in the colder months, and ventilation is often sacrificed for warmth. Even warming up your vehicle with the garage doors open for a few minutes can produce enough carbon monoxide to make you sick.

 

What is carbon monoxide?

CO is produced when any fuel does not burn completely because of insufficient oxygen. Running cars, boats and recreational vehicles produce CO. Equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce CO.

Possible sources of CO in the home include the furnace or boiler; gas or fuel-oil water heater; gas or wood fireplace; gas kitchen range; space heater; lantern; plugged, rusted, disconnected or defective chimneys or vents; back-drafting of combustion gases into the home; and automobiles in attached garages.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Mild exposure to CO gives most people a slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue ("flu-like" symptoms) followed by a throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion and a fast heart rate. If the entire family becomes ill after a few hours in the home, and feels better when they leave the home, carbon monoxide poisoning should be suspected.

The health effects of CO depend on the CO concentration and length of exposure, as well as each individual's health condition. CO concentration is measured in parts per million (ppm). Most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm but some heart patients might experience an increase in chest pain. As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and can include headache, fatigue and nausea. At sustained CO concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible.

Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide because of their smaller bodies. Children process carbon monoxide differently than adults, may be more severely affected by it, and may show signs of poisoning sooner, according to SafeKids.org. 

Home carbon monoxide alarms

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that every residence with fuel-burning appliances be equipped with at least one Underwriters Laboratories-listed CO alarm. For added protection, place one on every level of the home. Read and follow manufacturers' instructions. If your alarm indicates high levels of carbon monoxide in your home:

  • Immediately move outdoors to fresh air and do a head count.
  • Call your emergency services, fire department or 9-1-1.
  • Do not re-enter the home until emergency service responders have arrived, aired out the house, and determined it is safe to re-enter.
  • Correct the problem before starting the heating appliances.
  • If a carbon monoxide alarm sound again, repeat the above steps. 

Never ignore an alarming CO alarm! It's warning you of a potentially deadly hazard.

Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Place your detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, such as outside your bedroom. Consider buying a detector with a digital readout. This detector can tell you the highest level of CO concentration in your home in addition to alarming. Replace your CO detector every five years.


 

Carbon monoxide home safety tips

Certain clues can indicate a carbon monoxide problem in your home. The USA.gov publication "Making your home safe from fire and carbon monoxide" recommends you check to see if you have any of the following:

  • Rusting or streaking on chimney or vent.
  • Loose or missing furnace panel.
  • Soot on venting or appliances.
  • Loose or disconnected venting.
  • Debris or soot falling from chimney.
  • Moisture on interior side of windows

Follow these recommendations to help keep your home safe from carbon monoxide:

 

  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Never use any appliance if you suspect it might be faulty.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator have an expert service it. An odor from your gas refrigerator can mean it could be leaking CO.
  • When you buy gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as Underwriters Laboratories.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances, such as a water heater, should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors, as shown below. This prevents CO from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin or camper.
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of CO inside your home, cabin or camper.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal — red, gray, black or white — gives off CO.
  • Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin or camper.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent.

Carbon monoxide auto safety tips

The lethal consequences of CO in engine exhaust is tragically illustrated by the hundreds of persons who die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a running vehicle inside a closed garage, while stranded in their car, or while driving or riding in a vehicle with a defective exhaust system.


What causes carbon monoxide poisoning from vehicles?

  • Operating a vehicle with a defective exhaust system.
  • Operating a vehicle with a defective emission system or poorly tuned engine.
  • Driving a vehicle with the trunk lid or rear tailgate open.
  • Driving a vehicle with holes in the car body.
  • Allowing children to ride under a topper on a pick-up truck.
  • Warming up a vehicle in a garage, even with the outside garage door open.
  • Operating vehicles in a garage, carwash, or any enclosed building.


Tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in vehicles:

  • Have a mechanic check the exhaust system of your car or truck every year. A small leak in the exhaust system can lead to a build up of CO inside the car.
  • Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house even with the garage door open. Always open the door to a detached garage to let in fresh air when you run a car or truck inside.
  • If you drive a car or SUV with a tailgate, when you open the tailgate open the vents or windows to make sure air is moving through. If only the tailgate is open CO from the exhaust will be pulled into the car or SUV.
  • Never run a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine outside an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
  • If your car is keyless and you park in an attached garage, do not forget to turn off the car. Each year, people are found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home and the cause was a car left running in the garage.
  • Make sure to remove any snow that could block the tail pipe.
  • If sitting in an idling car, always keep the windowpartially opened.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector in your vehicle. 

 

Posted 7:44 AM  View Comments

Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive


View Mobile Version
Site Footer
 Powered by Insurance Website Builder                                           
Owners and Team Pay A Bill Client Forms and Requests Newsletter Client Login Contact Us Client Login Feedback Privacy Policy Job Openings Testimonials Newsletter & Alerts Report A Claim Business Insurance Personal Insurance FAQs FAQs Disaster & Resources Our Partners About Us Mission Values Privacy Policy Client Services Client Payment HR360 Login Report a Claim Newsletters & Alerts Safety Resources Helpful Links Testimonials Contact Us